Wednesday, March 5, 2008

White Knuckle Driving

Last night I had a town meeting that I *had* to attend. I only have a few of the 'must attends' per year and last night was one of them. So I left work and drove out to the TOJ, a trip that normally takes 40 minutes from Indy. Last night, one hour, forty minutes. White knuckles, numerous cars in the ditch, 5 mph in town driving, 40 mph in a 70 zone driving on the interstate, you get the picture.

The meeting was (thankfully) short for me, as I only had to present for ten minutes or so until this local know-it-all began peppering the Council with questions. I might add that I've now done this presentation six times and he hasn't bothered to show up until now. It was delightful. He could not follow what I said to save his life. While I spoke English, he heard Swahili. I thought I was never going to get out of there. Thankfully I answered his questions in such a way he began to hear English and it finally shut him up.

Then I headed back home. Again, white knuckles, again, cars in ditch. Again, praying that I did not spin out/hit anything/lose control of the car. One hour, forty-five minutes later I was home. Thankfully home.

I was greeted by the cats when I got home ... both wondering why I was not home for the second night in a row. So I called them upstairs and we cashed out in bed nearly immediately. My head was throbbing and I just wanted some peace.

**************************

Today at work was short. I woke up with the headache, felt like crap and went to work anyway. I got some basic nonsense done (grant outline, checked email and returned phone calls), took some ibuprofen and went home before 10:30. Spent all day in bed sleeping. I am feeling better now but will probably cash out early again tonight.

No comments: