Saturday, February 20, 2010

VFW

Today's plans included garage saleing, Jersey Boys, beach time and the Edison Festival of Lights parade. 

After we finished garage saleing, Jersey Boys and beach time, Mom and I were ready to do something other than the Edison parade.  I've heard it is great, I'm sure I'll see it next year (perhaps).

On our way home from Fort Myers Beach, I suggested a stop in the Fort Myers Beach Veterans of Foreign Wars post.

A couple things you should know before this completely sounds weird.

One: my Dad is a Vietnam Vet.  My Mom's dad is a WWI (yes, One) vet. 
Two: My dad used to be a part of the VFW drill team while I was growing up.
Three: I spent many a formative hour of my kidhood at the VFW, with friends at the VFW or hanging with my parents and their friends at the VFW.  It was a big family deal.

So going to the VFW is no big deal to me -- and I've been a VFW Auxilary member for ten years+ now. 

So we go.  Apparently it is pizza night at the V, so I see it when we come in and suggest that we order pizza for dinner from there.  The place is crazy packed and there is a guy singing (actually, rather well) as entertainment.  I'm the youngest by twenty years or so, except for about four other people. 

I order our pizza, we sit at the bar and relax.  People watching, enjoying the music, generally having a good time.  Mom (who is apparently on a mission to have me date) spies this guy across the bar (one of the four around my age) and notes that he is pretty cute.  I concur and notice he appears to be sitting with his parents.

We get our pizza and OMG IT IS SO DAMN GOOD. The  best pizza I have had since coming here by far.  FAR.  DELICIOUS.  After pizza, we are just relaxing a bit more, then decide to head home.  I've had some across the bar banter with this guy's Dad, so before we go, I buy a pitcher of beer for him, his Dad and Mom.  Mom walks out and I go over to introduce myself. 

Turns out that "C" just moved here from Maryland, his parents live here, and he spent nine months working in the Elkhart, IN area last year.  I hand him my card, ask him to call me and we'll have lunch.

I'll keep you posted. 

No comments: