Sunday, March 23, 2008

Went to Church, Elderly Woman Passes Out

Seriously, the roof did not fall in but an elderly woman a couple of rows ahead of me literally slumped to the floor during the Alleluijah chorus. I am not sure if this means God had a misfire on the bolt of lightening ... as I walked out (that was the last song), at least five members of the church's 'medical team' were assisting her.

I haven't been on the inside of a church in I have no idea how long. I am thinking the last time may have been Christmas 2004 when Hex was singing at the Cathedral downtown but I am not for certain. That seems about right though.

As for why I went: the idea called to me all week. I suppose as a person that grew up in the church, Easter holds a special place in my heart. It is a time of renewal and rebirth and I think that appeals to many of us as we consider our lives.

Today's message was, as expected, centered on Jesus' resurrection. The pastor who gave the sermon had some style in his presentation and even included a recording of Ernest Hemingway in the sermon. Fascinating.

As for the church itself, I went to East 91st St. Christian Church, a place fairly close to home. I chose the 8 a.m. service because I was awake and I didn't think there would be the hordes of people that would go to later services. It was busy, as expected, probably 300+ people there (last week's attendance was 4,700 -- wow). I went to the 'traditional' service as that is what I am comfortable with. Growing up Baptist is just about as traditional of a service as one can get and when I find myself at more contemporary services I feel completely at loss and confused. To put this all in perspective, this wasn't the largest church I've ever attended (that was in Lexington, KY at my cousin's church) but it was a lovely experience.

I am curious to know this church's position on matters of social and societal issues. In my personal life I don't believe anyone should be shunned on the basis of their sexual orientation, race or other mitigating factors so a church that subscribes to those beliefs would not be the one for me. There are a number of events at this church which could enlighten me on their belief structure and I may take advantage of them to learn more. It would be nice to have a church close to home but distance is no overarching factor if intolerance is preached here.

I am curious what this week's attendance will be. 4,700 on Palm Sunday is seriously big. To put that in my perspective, that is 1/4 of my hometown showing up at the same place on Sunday morning. Whoa.

*****************
This afternoon I'll be watching the Butler game with Xena and Maestro. I am so looking forward to this.

*****************
Talked to Dad today and reconfirmed my trip to FL at the end of April. He is excited, as am I. He's finished a number of projects since I was there in Dec (screened porch, remodel of master bathroom, remodel of master bedroom, fence ... etc.) so I am looking forward to seeing all of his work. I am also looking forward to some beach time and sunshine. Ahhhh.

*****************
Have a great day. :)

No comments: