Wednesday, January 23, 2008

Dating, part 2./rules for friends.

Dating, as I've described before, is torture. While I like having someone in my life and all the *sigh* benefits that come from that, the fact is -- to get to that point takes a good long while. First, I must be attracted to you and you must be attracted to me. Second, we must survive dating for a reasonable length of time. Third, I must know that you don't fuck every single woman that wanders by your office/home/gym/bar/etc. I've not had a disease, don't want a disease and have no interest in exposure to disease. What can I say, I am picky like that.

Today in our coffee klatch, PM, A1, CCM and I were discussing dating. CCM asked if I have been hit on in a bar. I say yes, then she replies that she has never been hit on in a bar. CCM is, in my humble estimation, an attractive female which receives her fair share of attention ... so this confused me. I then asked if she was always with one friend or two, rather than a group. She replied yes .... and this is where I made my point. Each and every time I have been hit on in a bar, it has been when I am surrounded by friends, laughing, joking, without a care in the world. I'm there with friends, relaxed and happy. Perhaps this is the key, I don't know. I do go on a lot of first dates and the reason for that is simple: as long as you can sit up, take nourishment and haven't been raised by wolves, I'll give you one date. If at the end of one date I am gnawing off my own arm to get out of the date, there will be no more. Over the years the reasons for not having the second date often relate to the not raised by wolves.

When I describe someone as having been raised by wolves, I suggest that he has not been given the proper 'home training' on simple graces such as: table manners, polite conversation, etiquette, proper tipping of waitstaff and avoiding inappropriate topics of conversation (such as the forever memorable "let's just skip this coffee thing and you can give me head in the car.") Heh. Needless to say, he had to deal with *that* on his own that night. And no, there most certainly was not a second date.

I have found most 'raised by wolves' men have been taught by male father figures/fathers to disrespect women and therefore never received what could be considered proper advice on behavior with women.

Anyhoo, our coffee klatches afford an opportunity for many laughs, good comradery and an amusing story ... and for that I am thankful. What great coworkers I have.

I remain optimistic that I will find someone for me ... all in its proper time.

As for rules for friends:

CCM and I have an ongoing list things we promise to do for one another if either one of us becomes incapacitated in any way. The things are as follows:

*Dyeing hair to avoid massive gray roots.
*Avoidance of all coats made of gold lame.
*Avoidance of all fur hats made of tiny pieces of fur from various rodents.
*Avoidance of scooters when we are healthy enough to walk.
*Avoidance of multiple layers of clothing when it is not cold enough to warrant said clothes.
*Avoidance of lime green spandex pants in public.

All of these rules have come into play because of various people we have seen out in public. Yes, public. Many conversations between CCM and I have been done in 1 look, generally followed by a nod indicating that "yes, that's one for the list." The list will never be complete as long as we have the tragically dressed to keep us amused.

1 comment:

Scully said...

Oh my GOD>...why haven't I come up with a list...I want in on this action...I LIKE IT!