Friday, January 18, 2008

Being a foodie.

I'm not one of those obnoxious people that eschews all restaurants below the four star rating. I am not a hopeless restaurant-a-holic ... some of the finest meals I've been served have been at friends' homes. I am, quite simply, a woman who likes to dine.

I can dine, for example, at Bazbeaux. Bazbeaux you say? Dine? Yes. For me, to dine is to relish the food, enjoying both the simplest ingredient to the most exquisite service. When I lived in Carmel, I lived about 3 blocks away from the Bazbeaux on Main St. I have to say, living that close to Bazbeaux is both good and bad. Bad because it is so convenient and good because a non-chain restaurant of any stripe close to home is heaven to me.

I'd be in there at least once a week, typically at night after a long day of writing. I'd be exhausted, tired of humanity and ready to scream. Then I'd walk into Bazbeaux. I would be recognized (as I was there often), and would ask to sit at the bar to eat my supper. This would result in my being served by Matt. Matt is a Herron grad and aside from managing the northside Bazbeaux, he also designs and builds furniture (see the Herron grad thing). He and his girlfriend own a house in Fall Creek Place and he never failed to tell me a tale of remodeling, work or life that would bring a smile to my face. Oftentimes he knew what I would order before I ordered it and he'd hand me the remote to the TV above the bar. I'd flip to something like Mythbusters and we'd chat for the next hour over this that or the other. Having a friendly face at a restaurant is an essential element of the dining experience. To this day when I walk in there, I make sure to sit whereever he is working (typically the bar) and enjoy my salad and pizza with one of the most interesting people I've met.

Other restaurants where I have found that the true meaning of dine comes to mind: Santorini's; Oceannaire; Palomino; Oakley's Bistro and (forgive me) the Turkish restaurant at 86th and Ditch. Pleasant servers, options to relax and enjoy your food without a constant sense of 'rush.' Often when I think of dining I think of my dear departed friend Reg. Reg and I worked together when I was at the State and developed a good friendship. He introduced me to Jamaican Blue coffee (seriously, life's best) and the fine art of dining. I had always 'eaten' before ... but his commentaries on food, wine, taste, and all of the pleasurable things that a good dinner out can bring opened my eyes to the art and soul of dining.

Reg has been gone now, five years in March. I still think of him often, especially in posts like this when I think of our many lunches at Palomino -- long, leisurely lunches with engaging conversation, fantastic food and outstanding servers.

I've tried to concentrate this new year on dining more and eating less. I recommend it.

No comments: