Friday, July 25, 2008

Technology isn't for the weak

On my work email, I belong to a listserv for other grant professionals such as myself. Apparently the listserv moderator is out this week at a conference because everything is automated.

In fact, there is one guy on the listserv who has been on vacation all week -- and ALL of us know about it. Picture a listserv with hundreds of members, with several dozen posts per day ... then picture this guy's auto-reply pinging each and every one of them.

************************
Dear CRD Friends,
Isn't technology wonderful! I understand you have received a plethora of replies from your group mails! My apologies for filling up your mailboxes with 'warm' responses...I like Teri's idea of 10 jumping jacks!

I, like many of you, have received these messages when someone is out of the office. The good news is we know the program works. I've come up with an solution of 'unsubscribing' next time I go on vacation (and may I recommend Scottsdale and Sedona, AZ!).

Again, sorry for any inconvenience and thanks for your calls and e-mails.
Derald

-----Original Message-----
From: Derald Bulls
Sent: Wednesday, July 23, 2008 3:10 PM
To: crd@lists.crdnet.org
Subject: [crd] I appreciate your note. I'll be out of the office thru Friday, July 25. I will only have

I appreciate your note. I'll be out of the office thru Friday, July 25. I will only have intermittent access to e-mail. If you need immediate attention, please call my secretary, Gloria Richter, (903) xxx-xxxx. I will respond to your message as soon as possible.

Regards,
Derald Bulls
Director, Institutional Advancement/Alumni Affairs

*********************
The funniest part of this whole debacle is that after he sent the above 'I'm sorry' note, he neglected to turn off his auto-reply -- so we all keep getting his out of the office message.

I have gone into peals of hysterical laughter over this. Hope you enjoy.

No comments: