Monday, July 7, 2008

Samwise Gamgee as Parade Marshal

Yes, dear readers, it was one hell of a weekend. To recap:

* Yes, Samwise Gamgee (aka Sean Astin) was the Parade Marshal in La Porte's 4th of July parade. Yes, I saw him. (Sean Astin is married to a woman that graduated from my rural high school ... and thus, spends some time (poor bastard) in La Porte on occasion). Typically the parade marshal is a local political figure so I must commend the La Porte Jaycees for thinking beyond the Mayor, the Dog Catcher and the Fire Chief as potential parade marshals.

* Mom's party on the 3rd was a splendid affair with family and friends gathered 'round not one but TWO campfires telling stories and laughing. I was able to visit with friends from elementary school and beyond and kiss a lot of sweet babies. It was a wonderful time. Wrapped up the party at nearly 1:30 a.m.

* The Indianapolis fireworks display from Sister's balcony was spectacular. Gin and tonics close at hand while fireworks shoot over the beautiful city skyline -- a night in paradise, I say. Sister made a wonderful dinner and we (Boy Wonder, Sister, Mom, Aunt J and I) had a lovely evening.

* Worked my ass off at Boy Wonder's house on Saturday with Boy Wonder, Mom and Sister. Weed pulling, dirt shoveling, planting, powerwashing and trimming shrubbery were just some of the tasks accomplished. My hamstrings still ache today. Luckily though, Boy Wonder was kind enough to provide us with pizza at the end of the day, which eased our suffering.

* Sunday was spent in recovery mode. I slept quite a bit and did some general household stuff. Went downtown to take care of FitnessNerd's cat, Madonna, and was treated to the sight of his *extremely hot* Olympic-hopeful diver neighbor. Lord Have Mercy, I needed a drink after seeing him. Whew!! After that I meandered up to Sakura and treated myself to a delicious sushi dinner. Following sushi I meandered through Target, picking up some last minute nonsense for the Sweden trip.

A few shout outs:

* Peteski: thanks for the pictures of the Saddle Tramps and their overgrown Easter Bunnies. Give my love to Babs.

* To CCM and PM: on vacation this week -- may you find much relaxation and joy. Also, may your respective children not drive you too insane.

* Jay -- love the post about Sharkboy and 'nobody wants to see that.' I laughed until I cried. Out of the mouths of babes, indeed.

* Mean Girls -- hope Vegas has not run out of bacon or liquor yet. I trust you will make sure they do.

* Sister -- Take note: Boy Wonder actually gives me real food for working at his house, not a 1/2 can of soup. He's a keeper.

* FitnessNerd -- I know you had nothing to do with it, but thank you for having a hot neighbor. My my, that made my Sunday.

* MM and MD -- great to see you and Madison on the 3rd. I am so looking forward to Nathaniel's arrival ... hang in there, MM. Not long now.

* Scully -- what is going on, sister? No blog updates in decades ... what's happening at the Mineral House? What's the latest at work? Still training idiots?

* Evolution -- hope all is well with you babe!

No comments: