Friday, February 25, 2011

6 Word Fridays: Well

I'm trying my hand again at 6 Word Fridays ... thanks Melissa, as ever, for your inspiration.

WELL. Be well. Well, well, well.

http://www.makingthingsup.com/


Well is a word that reminds

me of "fine" and "fine" isn't

so very "fine" but an excuse

to answer a question meant to

ascertain your state of wellbeing or

my state of wellbeing, but really

"well" is something that can be

endless -- such as the bottom of

a well seems bottomless in its

depth.  Well is also a pause

when I don't know what to

say.  When I'm confused as to

what I should say next, if

anything at all.  Well is what

I feel when I am not ill.

Well is how I described myself

after the divorce, when I was

not fine, or well, or anything

at all.  My life felt like

a bottomless well of confusion of

my own making.  Now I use

"well" to describe a pit of water

for drinking, but not my feelings.

I am better than "well," I am

Magnificent, Supendous, Excited, Enamoured, Thrilled, Lucky

But not "well" -- I never want

to be "well" ever again, ever.  

9 comments:

Kristi said...

I love, love, love your post! So wonderful how you wrapped up so many of the meanings of the word "well".
New to blogging...I found you from Making Things Up. I'm glad I did!
Thanks for the delightful read! :)

Molly @ Postcards from a Peaceful Divorce said...

I agree with Kristi! This is beautiful, Athena. I love how you discuss all the different meanings, and how you equate well with fine. Sometimes it's just easier to tell someone you are doing well, than to give them the full scoop. I'm glad that you are sooo much more than well!

Anonymous said...

Well...well done!!!

Anonymous said...

Interesting take. I was thinking along the same lines when I saw the word for this week. Somehow it just doesn't feel all that positive to me either.

kate said...

may you never be "well" again!

melissa said...

The depths of well. Not fine.
Hooray for feeling magnificent, stupendous, lucky!

ayala said...

I love this. I love the different meanings and I love that you are so much better than well!

Anonymous said...

I enjoyed the cadence of this post, and I love that you state you are no longer feeling "well" - that you know you are so much more.

Aleea said...

Thank you, everyone, so very much. I enjoy taking these words that Melissa is so kind to share and turning them upside down, inside out and back again.

And no, I'm not well. Let me never be well again!