Monday, March 21, 2011

The Double Life (or Dueling Realities, if you please)

One of my favorite shows was Alias which showed a very cool Jennifer Garner playing Sidney Bristow, a covert CIA-type agent who also had a double life of sorts.  Originally she was a college student who had been recruited into a CIA-type life, then later, others "outside" her life believed she worked for a bank.  If your bank topples crime syndicates and blows shit up, indeed, it was a "bank" she worked at all right.

My life now is in two separate places, while I maintain one residence.  I currently live in Southwest Florida, work in Southwest Florida and rent an apartment in Southwest Florida.  I have friends here, a job here and I spend my days here.

Except ...

When I'm not here. 

Then my life is in Northwest Indiana (or Indiana in general) with family, friends and please don't forget my Hoosier Guy.  There I hang out with friends and family, spend hours wandering around visiting and exploring the place I used to call home, way back when.  I love learning that my former hometown (and surrounding environs) has grown, with neat things to do, cool places to go and much exploring to do.

It is my heart that travels.  My heart, which I have freely and completely given to the Hoosier Guy, traveled back with him yesterday afternoon, as he left sunny Southwest Florida for rainy Northwest Indiana.  It is a funny thing, this romance of ours.  For a million good reasons, it ought not work.  For a million and one more, it does work.  We had a wonderful weekend, spending time with friends and hanging out, laughing, joking, delving more into each other's life. 

The Double Life, the Dueling Realities ... these are hard.  My body and my work are here in Southwest Florida, my mind and heart are in Northwest Indiana.

I still don't have answers to the grad school questions.  I pray and hope I find out soon.  If for nothing else, to know if my double life, my dueling realities continue on, or they join together. 

No comments: